Thursday, November 7, 2013

Business Communication - Reflective Journal

When I first heard of the topic of the assignment given by the Taylor's University, "Business Report"

I first thought it will be hard for me as I does not have any experience in writing a report. Surprisingly, it ended up to be a fun, joyful and informative experience.

The process of my team and I doing this report were pretty hard as we don't know each other and it was quite hard to communicate at the start of the assignment. Then, we slowly got to know each other and communication and trust comes together later. Throughout the whole business report assignment, I realized teamwork plays a major role in making a project or a plan to be successful. I volunteered to be the group leader as I think I am capable of leading and guiding my members to a "bright" path, and things really went according to my plan!

I must say I'm lucky to have a group of active and enthusiastic members whom are willing to cooperate with me and does things nonchalantly, especially when it comes to the deadline of the assignment. Before choosing any firm for the business report, one of my members suggest that we can interview an owner of a Chinese-Muslim restaurant which he often goes to, which I personally think it will be very interesting because we could hardly find restaurants like that in Malaysia. However, after few days of discussion among us, we decided to switch to a Malaysian based sportswear company, Kraftfit which mainly sells compression wear which is more unique as there are only two Malaysian-based compression wear manufacturers and Kraftfit is one of them.

Planning and work distribution is a major obstacle I have to overcome as we have few different assignment deadlines for other modules to hand in in the same week. Furthermore, when it comes to work distribution I have to consider for one of our members, he requested for easier tasks as he admitted that his English language is weak and perhaps needed more time to do his part of report. Taking everything into consideration, my team and I agreed on everything, from the interview until the writing of the report and we conducted an interview with the owners of Kraftfit. Everything went perfectly fine since then.

This was the first group assignment I have had in my life and I finally understand the quote:
"Coming together is a beginning.

Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success." - Henry Ford


This will be one of the most unforgettable experiences I have gained in my life.I think I've learnt a lot from this group assignments, in different aspects from planning, decisions making till leadership. These are the soft skills which I couldn't obtain from the theory or books which we have learnt academically which from my point of view, more important than the hard skills which are obtainable from reading and theories. 
I

No comments:

Post a Comment